The writers at AFL.com.au have published a complete listing of player that will become free agents following the 2014 season, and Carlton is the club that looks most vulnerable, with several key personal expected to be targeted by opposition clubs including captain Marc Murphy, Bryce Gibbs, Andrew Walker, and Kade Simpson among others.
There are plenty of big names set to become available from other clubs too, with Dane Swan, David Mundy, Steve Johnson, Sam Mitchell, Todd Goldstein, and Will Minson all eligible as free agents.
Here is the complete listing of free agents, club by club… (more…)
The 2013 AFL Trade Period officially ended at 2pm today. A total of 35 deals ended up being completed, so let’s take a look at what players and draft picks your club has come away with. Who are the winners and losers? Have your say below. (more…)
The AFL free agency period came to a close today, and it did so with a flurry of activity seeing trades made, free agents acquired, and legends calling time on their careers. Here’s what happened today:
- The GWS Giants will have picks 1 & 2 in this year’s draft after a deal exchanging Dom Tyson & draft selections to the Melbourne Football Club. Melbourne gets Dom Tyson from GWS plus picks 9 and 53 in exchange for picks 2, 20 and 72. Melbourne is expected to use the draft pick received as compensation for losing Colin Sylvia to secure Crows midfielder Bernie Vince.
- Crows midfielder Bernie Vince is close to signing a 3-4 year deal with Melbourne, as the Dees look to bolster their midfield. The Demon’s will likely give up their 2nd round pick to secure the 28 year old.
- There has been speculation that the Demons are considering trading their #2 pick to GWS in exchange for GWS’ pick #9, former #5 draft pick Matt Buntine, and Thomas Bugg. Several Melbourne personalities are urging caution though – wondering why the Demons would be willing to forgo drafting one of the country’s best young midfielders in James Aish, for the sake of signing Buntine & Bugg.
News emerged last night that Heath Shaw had advised Collingwood that his preference was to play at GWS in 2014 and onwards, and that he will be heading to the Giants on a 5 year deal worth around $700k per season. Shaw has chosen GWS over Geelong and Essendon, both of whom were keen on acquiring the 27 year old defender’s services. A trade with Taylor Adams, who wants to move back to Victoria, will almost certainly to take place, with the likelihood of draft picks being included to even things out. “A number of other clubs were chasing Heath so for him to say he wants to join the Giants is a great endorsement of the club and the direction we are taking” GWS coach Leon Cameron said in a statement posted on the Giants’ website. (more…)
- Jesse White’s manager Ben Williams tells Trade Radio: “The Swans and the Pies are both being pretty reasonable. They’re talking about a back-end second to early third round pick”.
- Williams says Josh Bruce has nominated the Saints as his team of choice.
- Williams also says Ian Callinan is more likely to leave the Crows now that Eddie Betts has arrived at the club.
- Shane Savage and pick 17 traded from the Hawks to the Saints – in exchange for St Kilda ruckman Ben McEvoy
- Mark Thompson officially announced as Essendon’s interim senior coach.
- Neil Craig appointed Essendon’s head of coaching development and strategy.
- Shaun Hampson officially becomes a Tiger after a trade was completed that will see the Tigers second round pick (currently 28) head to the Blues.
- The Blues lodge the official paperwork for Dale Thomas today to move to the club as a free agent. Collingwood now has three days to match offer.
- North Melbourne confirms they have approached Nick Dal Santo but are now waiting for the Saints to respond.
The AFL Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period officially opened today (Friday 4th October) at 9am, and with Trade Period set to start on Monday 7th, we’ll be keeping tabs on all the completed deals as they happen. Be sure to check back regularly to keep up to date with all the official player movements. (more…)
Trade Radio kicked off on AFL.com.au this week – here is a roundup of the topics discussed today.
- Peter Gordon & James Brayshaw both tell Trade Radio that COLA should be axed and the salary cap should be even across the competition
- Carlton recruiting manager Shane Rogers says Dale Thomas has passed 2-3 medical tests at the Blues
- Rogers also says Mitch Robinson isn’t going anywhere